OLD Getting support in place

All schools and settings should have a clear approach to identifying and responding to special educational needs.  For schools and nursery schools, this should be published in their SEN Information Report.

All schools and settings will carefully monitor the progress of all children and young people.

sen-code-of-practiceThe SEND Code of Practice provides statutory guidance for organisations (this includes schools and settings) working with and supporting children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. The SEND Code of Practice covers the 0-25 age range.

SEN support should be considered in schools for pupils who continue to make less than expected progress which:

The SEND Code of Practice says

  • is significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline
  • fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress
  • fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers
  • widens the attainment gap    (6.17)

Colleges should be involved in transition planning between school and college so that they can prepare to meet the student’s needs and ensure a successful transition into college life.    (7.10)

Some needs may emerge after a student has begun a programme. Teaching staff should work with specialist support to identify where a student may be having difficulty which may be because of SEN.     (7.11)

The benefits of early identification are widely recognised. Identifying need at the earliest point and making effective provision improves long term outcomes.

If you are concerned or worried it is important that you speak to your school or setting.

You should contact a teacher/tutor or the

Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo).

If you have any concerns or are confused about support for your child you should speak to your child’s school or setting.
Schools, and settings have a duty to inform you of any special help your child is receiving and should plan this support with you. You should also have copies of any paperwork relating to your child’s special educational needs.


If you are still unsure about the help your child is receiving you should find out the following:

  • What sort of difficulties your child is experiencing in school
  • What concerns school has about your child and/or if your concerns are shared
  • How you can help at home
  • What additional help your child is getting in school
  • If your child is making adequate progress
  • What the next steps are